Lewis and Clark High School
|In the 1880's Spokane was deeply affected by coming of the RailRoad and the Gold Rush in northern Idaho.There was a big need for new schools.||An 8 room frame building, built in 1883, was replaced by a bigger brick structure in 1891 on this site. Another school was built in the north of the city in 1908, but it burned in 1910.|
|Lewis and Clark High School is a 4 story brick structure designed in 1912 in the Gothic style by Spokane Architect, LL Rand. It is at the foot of the Spokane City's South Hill. It is known as a landmark.|
|When Lewis and Clark was finished, president Roosevelt came in 1912 to put in the cornerstone. There was a tradition that perhaps he accidently put in backwards. However, that tradition was proved not true during recent renovation and re-dedication of the building.|
|Send comments Discovery SchoolStudents||copyright
All rights reserved.
Revised: September 22, 2002 and March 19, 2004
|Report completed in 2000.|